Labelled ‘The No#1 Drug in America’, we are rapidly becoming a nation of coffee drinkers and when the odd the morning pick-me-up becomes 5 or 6 cups a day, we could also become a nation of caffeine addicts.
The problem with caffeine is that it “burns out” your Central Nervous System and causes numerous, negative changes in your hormones, which ultimately accelerates ageing.
The negative changes in hormones are:
- Increase in stress hormones, such as cortisol — this means more belly fat.
- A decrease in testosterone — this means less muscle and lower libido.
- A decrease in growth hormone & IGF — more fat, accelerated ageing.
- A decrease in thyroid hormones (T3) — slower metabolism and fat gain.
- A decrease in adrenal hormones — DHEA, pregnenolone, etc.
- A decrease in melatonin — sleep and anti-ageing hormone.
- Increase in estrogen — breast cancer, gynecomastia (“Man Boobs”), irregular menstruation
- Higher blood sugar and insulin insensitivity — more fat, less muscle, diabetes, etc.
- Another major issue is neurological in that it causes issues by decreasing dopamine release and dopamine receptor sensitivity — both are bad because it decreases happiness and can cause Parkinson’s.
- It also causes a decrease in another neurotransmitter, serotonin.
- This means again, less happiness, more worry, stress, anxiety and panic.
- Other health problems that are non-hormonal Oxidative stress and inflammation — related to numerous health problems, aches and pains PH imbalance (more acidic) — acid reflux, osteoporosis, gut bacterium imbalances
- Insomnia & poor sleep (shallow REM sleep) — a cause of too many health problems and hormonal imbalances.
- High blood pressure